My apologies for the lapse in blogging. Life, it seemed, had other plans for me recently and I had some serious problems remembering what I was going to write about, let alone get here to do it. Sigh. It’s an excuse, not a reason, and I know it. Things have calmed down, though, so let’s hope the schedule resumes next month.
What kind of things got me going nuts? Here’s a list:
1. I was putting the finishing touches on two short story anthologies. Those are in the works with my publisher now, and will be out by the end of January, 2014!
2. While compiling the anthologies, one of the stories ‘woke up’ and has morphed into almost 13k words. Tentatively titled ‘Fin’s Magic’, it’s fantasy with more than a little romance. We’ve got a long weekend coming up, and no travel plans, so I’m hoping to spend several more hours getting it written. Ideally, it would be off to my crit partners and beta readers by the end of the year.
3. Still working for Solstice, and loving it. Have I mentioned I have the best job (and boss) in the world?
4. I am heading to the Portland, OR area in February, 2014! I’ve been invited to visit a book club that’s going to be reading ‘Mark of the Successor’. What makes this trip special? All of the club participants are inmates. It takes place in a women’s prison. It’s going to be a unique experience and I’m really looking forward to it. Also, I’m trying to co-ordinate something with any readers who live in the area that want to meet up at a coffee shop or such to get books signed. Thinking this could be a wonderful trip!
5. I was interviewed on a podcast last week! You can go find it in the archives here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/authorsontheair/2013/11/20/katemarie-collins-gets-creatively-inspired-by-history I’m getting better at this whole live interview thing! There’s something the host and I discussed (what the difference is between a crit partner and a beta reader, and why it’s important to have them) that I’m pretty passionate about. It’s probably going to be a blog post topic soon, so listen to the tape if you’d like to get a head’s up on what’s to come!
6. Tomorrow, I’m going to be a guest judge on a flash fiction contest! I’m super excited about the opportunity. I even got to pick the prompt, which is the same one that got ‘Mark of the Successor’ going. Seeing as two of my books now out came from similar exercises, plus both anthologies and the new wip, I’m well versed in just how things like this can jumpstart your creative process. If you want to learn more about the contest, and maybe join in, check it out here: http://www.writeonwendy.com/
Add into all of that work, household management, my oldest getting her permit/beginning driver’s ed classes, and such, it’s been busy!
Thanksgiving is this week. This year, I have so much to be thankful for. My new job (has it really only been 7 months!?!?), 3 new books out with 2 in the queue and 4 being worked on, my readers for making it so I can say ‘international best selling author’, the unwavering support of my family as the snowball begins to grow.
So, thank you for taking the time to read this. I know not everyone here’s bought my books, and that’s okay. Maybe one day you’ll think they’re worth reading or reviewing.